Straight teeth are the ideal look for many of us, but our modern sugary diets tend to wreak havoc on the growth of our teeth, leaving us looking for ways to straighten teeth and get that signature Hollywood smile! There are many teeth straightening services out there offering a wide range of pros and cons – 2 popular services are Smile Direct Club and Invisalign.
Here we’re looking at SDC vs. Invisalign, finding out which one is better and seeing whether there are any other services you should try instead.
Smile Dental Club vs. Invisalign: A Comparison
SDC vs Invisalign. Which one are you going to select? Both services have their pros and cons to consider, as well as significant price differences. However, it’s not so cut and dry when it comes to which service is better – it depends on what you’re looking for!
Braces Or Aligners
Usually, your orthodontist would suggest braces or aligners as teeth straightening options. In the past, the only option available to you would be the braces, though the best invisible braces are a good modern version.
Nonetheless, thanks to advancements in technology, you have now the option to select teeth aligners. It’s important to keep a variety of factors in mind when selecting the best teeth aligners for you such as waiting time, prices, and many more!
So, which is better for you?
- Most effective way of straightening your misaligned teeth
- May need repairing during the treatment (for a fee)
- Can’t be removed until the treatment is over. Treatment can last anywhere between 6 months and 2 years
- Basically a plastic replica of your teeth that you wear like a mouthguard and they slowly put pressure on your teeth
- Mostly invisible and can be taken out to eat, drink, and brush your teeth
- Slightly uncomfortable and aligners must be cleaned regularly
Viable Options For Teeth Straightening
You have a variety of options when it comes to teeth straightening such as:
Smile Direct Club
SDC is a popular company that offers you custom made aligners. These aligners are composed of clear plastic and can help in the alignment of your teeth. A licensed orthodontist (or dentist) helps with the treatment and monitors your progress every 90 days, though services like Byte monitor you every 2 weeks.
When you consider Smile Dental Club as a viable option, you can expect the following:
- You can get a home-impression kit (additional $49 fee) or visit a Smile Shop location to get a 3D image made of your teeth. A licensed orthodontist (or dentist) will then review your case.
- You get a preview of how your smile would look like plus you would also get the custom aligners.
- A dentist or an orthodontist will be assigned to you. You can contact them digitally or they will check in every 90 days to check out your progress. Other services like Byte allow you to be checked on every 14 days.
You can expect results from SDC in 4 to 8 months, though some reviewers on TrustPilot have had their treatment last 9-10 months due to problems with their treatment.
Read the full Smile Direct Club Review.
Payment Options At Smile Direct Club
The following payment options are available to you:
- Upfront one-time payment for $1895.
- If you want you can also pay $250 upfront and then for the 2 years, you would pay $85 each month. This comes to a total of $2,290, an extra $395 overall.
If you’re not able to afford the $1895 upfront, then the payment plan gives you a decent way to pay in installments (though you’ll pay nearly $400 extra in total).
Suitable Criteria For Smile Dental Club
To know whether you would be a suitable candidate for Smile Direct Club or not, consider the following:
- Not good if you have crowded teeth
- Not suitable if you have very crooked teeth that need additional help
- Good for bite correction.
- SDC can help close gaps between teeth
If you meet the above-mentioned criteria then you might want to go for Smile Direct Club, though Byte is the same price and is a much better service in my opinion.
Organized through your personal dentist or orthodontist, Invisalign is a great alternative to your metal braces. For those who don’t like or want to wear the metal braces, Invisalign would be a good alternative to consider. It would be suitable for you if:
- You want to fix bite issues
- You want to correct the alignment of your teeth
- You want to remove gaps between your teeth
- You have very crooked teeth with complex issues
Invisalign is a flexible clear plastic that applies pressure on your teeth to make them aligned. Depending on the problem or the dental issues, you can expect the treatment to be anywhere between 6 to 18 months. To get the most out of it, you should wear it 24/7. However, when you plan to eat or drink and brush your teeth, you can take it off.
If you consider Invisalign as a viable option for straightening your teeth, you can expect the following:
- After visiting an orthodontist or a dentist (and a review of your case) they will be able to suggest whether Invisalign is the right option for you or not.
- You can get a custom treatment plan based on the digital scan of your mouth.
- You will be able to get the custom aligners. Just pick them up or maybe get it delivered right at your doorstep!
Just check-in with your dentist on a regular basis and within 4 to 8 months you will be able to get the desired result.
Payment Options For Invisalign
Ideally, you would be able to get a clear idea of the prices and cost once you get the initial scans and consultations done. The price can vary depending on the treatment plan and also on the duration of your treatment. You can expect the following:
- The cost could be anywhere from $3,000 to $8,000, averaging around $5,000
- You will need cleaning crystals for cleaning your aligner trays, so include the additional cost for that as well ($1/day)
- You can get various payment plan options to make payments easy for you.
- You will need a post-treatment retainer set to maintain your teeth alignment.
Invisalign For Teeth Straightening
You might go for this option because:
- It won’t get in the way of your lifestyle as you can eat and drink easily.
- You don’t like the prominent metal braces
- It’s monitored by your personal dentist or orthodontist
- You can get a digital prediction of your new smile.
Other Teeth Straightening Options Apart From SDC vs. Invisalign
If you are interested in finding out other treatment options, consider the following:
Byte differentiates itself by using ONLY professional orthodontists to monitor your progress. These specialists go through 3 more years of training that dentists, so they’re more qualified to monitor your progress. The orthodontists also check your progress every 14 days, compared to SDC’s 90 days.
In addition to this, they have the “HyperByte” device which uses HFV (High-Frequency Vibration) technology to speed up the teeth straightening process. Generally speaking, Byte is the best teeth straightening clear aligners service if you’re not dealing with extensive problems like crowded teeth.
It is also cost-effective and would be just $1895. It would be a viable option if:
- You are looking for minor to moderate adjustments.
- You want to work exclusively with orthodontists
- You want to use the HyperByte device
- You want regular 14-day monitoring
- You don’t want to visit a clinic/studio
If there are complicated dental issues, you have to consider other options.
If you plan to opt for Candid, you can expect the following:
- You will be able to get a custom dental impression of your teeth. A molding kit would help you get the impressions of your top and bottom teeth.
- A 3D image would assist in determining the relevant treatment plan for you. It is important for you to keep in mind that there is no commitment involved in the process.
- You can then get the custom aligners if you want to go ahead, which you can receive in the mail.
- You would be required to wear the aligners for 22 hours. However, it would be possible to take these out when you would eat, drink, or brush your teeth. Bear in mind that there will be some pain or discomfort in the beginning.
Pricing for Candid is also affordable. It is $1900 and you can get the monthly billing option as well. It would be simple to use as compared to going to visit the orthodontist every now and then. You would be able to get an advantage in the comfort of your home.
Read the full Candid Co Review.
This is another teeth straightening option that’s popular online. If you go for it, you can expect the following:
- You get clear custom-fitted aligners based on your dental impressions for your dental problems.
- The process would be similar to Candid and Byte. You get the clear aligners in the mail.
- You get retainers for free after the treatment. Retainers would help in maintaining the position of your teeth.
You would be able to get this option at a price of $1420. It is the most affordable option so if you are looking for a budget-friendly option, you can consider this. The treatment plan would last around 30 weeks total. It is important that you are following the relevant instructions and wearing them as per the recommendation.
Smile Direct Club vs. Invisalign: Verdict
You have many teeth straightening treatment options available, and SDC vs. Invisalign are just two of the choices available to you. There are a variety of factors involved that can help you in the process of decision making. Consider the following:
- Budget – can you afford the one-time payment or monthly installment plan?
- How badly crooked/crowded are your teeth?
- How long are you willing to have the treatment last?
- Do you want regular checkups?
- Search for reviews online and ask people on social media.
Smile Direct Club has a lot of negative and mixed reviews online, and I personally have had bad experiences with this service. If your teeth problems are minor, then I would recommend you try Byte instead. It’s very similar to SDC, but they work exclusively with well-trained orthodontists and monitor your progress every 14 days (compared to SDC’s 90 days).
Nonetheless, if your teeth problems are more complex and severe, you may have no other choice than to use Invisalign. The company’s SmartForce technology is unique to them and is the only way to straighten very crowded teeth.
Wrapping It Up
Whether you opt for Invisalign, Smile Direct Club, or another service like Byte, the end result will be straight teeth eventually. Plus, you also have other treatment options as you can see above.
However, it is important for you to find out what option would be the most viable for you. You have to consider your budget, lifestyle, preferences, and so much more! Make sure you are doing thorough research on your own before the final decision.
Either way, the best thing is that a straight and perfect smile that you had always dreamt of is now possible thanks to these treatment options available just for you!